Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Menu Plan

In the past, I've balked at menu planning. I felt it would be too restrictive, or something, and, because I wouldn't be using up my leftovers, it wouldn't be cost efficient.

I started using a menu plan this school year, and so far it's working great. There's quite a bit of flexibility worked into the schedule, but at the same time it's nice having guidelines. I especially like having lunches planned out, instead of trying to rely on whatever leftovers might be around.

Here's my schedule:

Breakfasts:

Monday - Oatmeal; Tuesday - Egg Dish; Wednesday - Pancakes; Thursday - Eggs, Bacon or Sausage & Toast; Friday - Smoothies & Peanut Butter Toast; Saturday - Sweet (Cinnamon rolls - it's my bread baking day or coffee cake or custard); Sunday - Leftovers or Cereal

Lunch:

Monday - Creamed Tuna on Toast; Tuesday - Beans & Rice; Wednesday - Rice Cooker Mac & Cheese; Thursday - Leftovers; Friday - Crackers w/ cheese, hummus, spinach dip; Saturday - Leftovers or Sandwiches; Sunday - Leftovers or Sandwiches

Supper:

Monday - Soup or Leftovers; Tuesday - Wraps; Wednesday - Whatever (pork, ethnic, etc.); Thursday - Italian; Friday - Seafood; Saturday - Mexican; Sunday - Roast (beef, pork or chicken)

I also have notes on my plan for when I have to prepare foods ahead, set up bread, pancakes or yogurt, etc.

It's only been a few weeks, but so far I've found it helpful. I've tweeked it a few times already, and I'm sure I'll continue to do so. We'll probably be ready for a different lunch rotation in a few months, too.

No comments: