Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Couple of Peachy Ideas

This year, we bought 2 bushels of peaches. I froze a bunch of them as slices. I also froze a bunch as puree. I peeled and pitted them, then plopped them in the blender. I blended them, and then added enough apple juice to make 2 cups puree. I would estimate 1 1/2 c. of the mixture was peaches, the other 1/2 cup was juice. I froze the puree flat in freezer bags.

One recipe I use the puree for is a Peach Frosty. Put 1 c. cottage cheese in blender. Add 1 c. plain yogurt, and blend until smooth. Add slightly defrosted puree and blend. (You might decide to add a sweetener of your choosing.) If the puree is still cold enough, this will have the consistency of a Wendy's Frosty. I serve them in tea cups with a spoon. Sometimes we have this for breakfast, and sometimes we have this as a dessert.

I also have made smoothies using 1 bag of puree, 1 can of coconut milk, and maybe a cup of yogurt and some honey. This smoothie goes over well with everyone.

No comments: