Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Breakfast Pizza

We had this egg dish the other morning for breakfast. I'll post the original recipe first, then add my revisions.

Egg Pizza

4 oz. softened cream cheese
4 eggs
1/3 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. parmesan cheese, grated
1 T. chives
1/2 t. Italian seasoning
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 t. chopped garlic
1/2 c. tomato or pizza sauce
1 c. mozzarella cheese, for topping
Additional toppings to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Beat together cream cheese and eggs until smooth (I used a blender). Add cream, parmesan cheese and spices.

Grease a 13 x 9 pan, spread 2 c. shredded cheese in dish and pour egg mixgture over.

Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven.

Spread with sauce, add toppings and cheese. Bake until brown and bubbly.
---------------------

I was certain I had a can of tomato sauce in the cupboard, but I didn't. And I didn't realize that until I had pulled the crust out of the oven. So, I plopped a tomato in the blender, along with some pepperoni and parmesan cheese to thicken it up. It worked pretty well. I also had used up all of my mozzarella cheese on the crust before realizing I would need some for on top. So, I sprinkled some more parmesan on top.

Madeline and I both really like this, and I think Dave liked it heated up the next morning. Grace & Henry weren't that enthused. I think they would have liked it better if they hadn't had to taste the pepperoni in the sauce. Next time, I'll probably have half with just black olives, and half with some more interesting toppings.

No comments: