Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Cornbread

Last night we had sweet corn as part of our supper. As Dave was grilling the cobs, I started getting a craving for custard cornbread. It sounded like a good way to used up any leftover corn, plus I somehow ended up with 5 gallons of milk in an already packed refrigerator, so I needed a recipe to use that up as well.

So, I googled a few recipes and tweaked them. We had delicious cornbread for breakfast. Except, we didn't have any leftover corn to put in it and I only ended up using 1 c. of milk.

Here's what I did:

Mix together and let sit overnight:

1 1/2 c. cornmeal
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. evaporated cane juice
4 T. butter
1 c. water
2 T. buttermilk

In the morning, blend in until smooth:

1 c. milk
2 eggs

Add, just until mixed:

1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

I baked it at 350 in a 10 x 6 pan for about 35 minutes.

It wasn't exactly custardy, but it was nice and moist. We also had peaches with it because, well, we're having peaches with everything these days.

I found a more custardlike cornbread recipe using coconut milk. I hope to try it in the not-too-distant future.

No comments: