Sunday, May 10, 2009

Waffles

Today we had waffles for lunch. I haven't been doing waffles too much lately, because they've been sticking to my waffle iron. I generally use this recipe except 1 1/2 time the amounts. This time, I used about 1/2 c. of coconut oil instead of the oil amount for the recipe. The waffles didn't stick, but they fell apart too easily. I used all brown rice, too. Next time I think I'll try 1/2 rice and 1/2 something else.

This is my brand of waffle iron. I really like it, because it's fun for the kids to have sticks to dip into sauce or syrup. With just the rice, they didn't stay stick-like.

To accompany the waffles, we had strawberry sauce from the freezer, maple syrup, chocolate syrup and whipped cream. Yum.

Here's the chocolate syrup recipe I used:

1 c. water
1 c. evaporated cane juice
3 T. butter
1/3 c. cocoa powder*
1 t. vanilla

Boil water and cane juice together 1-2 minutes for simple syrup. Add cocoa and butter, stirring hard until smooth. Remove from heat, add vanilla. Store in refrigerator.

This batch didn't get very thick. Sometimes I add a little coconut oil to help it thicken up. But then, it seems to be too thick. I think this will get thicker as it cools.

*The original recipe called for 1 1/4 c. cocoa powder, but that was way too much for my tastes.

No comments: