Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cottage Pancakes

Ha! I'm posting on my breakfast blog.

I wanted to make pancakes for breakfast this morning, but I hadn't prepared them the night before. I generally use Sue Gregg's Blender Pancakes method, which I'll post about another time. Today, I used a different recipe from Sue Gregg's Breakfast cookbook - Cottage Pancakes.

Here's the recipe:

4 eggs, separated
1 c. cottage cheese (or kefir)
1/2 c. flour (I used rice flour)
1 T. olive oil or melted butter (I used coconut oil)
1/2 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt

Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
Beat egg yolks until light. Blend in remaining ingredients. Fold egg whites into batter.
Bake over moderate heat.

----
I had a little trouble gauging when to turn these. They were definitely fluffy, but also substantial. She suggests serving with fresh fruit topping, but I didn't have anything for that. I served them with maple syrup. I think I preferred them plain. They weren't too sweet, but they still had a nice taste. And, the kids liked them. Henry generally doesn't like pancakes, so it was nice to see him have seconds.

Plus, I liked that these were more protein based, rather than grain based. This made about 10 4" or so pancakes. We had 1 1/2 leftover, which Daddy can have for breakfast.

Since she mentions kefir as a substitute, I might try this with drained yogurt sometime.

No comments: