Sunday, May 10, 2009

Asparagus Sausage Frittata

I forgot to post about yesterday morning's breakfast. I had about 8 stalks of asparagus from the garden. I washed then broke them into bite sized pieces. I steamed them in an 8" stainless steel frying pan with a minced clove of garlic, maybe a little over a tablespoon of olive oil and about 2 tablespoons of water. I let that go for about 3 minutes. Then I added about 1/2 c. of leftover cooked sausage, and let the water cook off with the cover off.

While that was going on, I mixed 6 eggs with about 1/4 c. parmesan cheese (not from the can), maybe 1/4 c. cream, some salt and a little basil. When the water had evaporated, I added the egg mixture to the frying pan and let it cook about a minute, until the edges were starting to set. Then, I topped it with cheddar cheese and let it cook in a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes, until set.

It's supposed to flip nicely onto a plate for an elegant presentation. Unfortunately, I have some kind of genetic abnormality that makes it impossible for me to flip frittatas or roll out pie crust or cookie dough. So, it wasn't beautiful, but it tasted very, very good.

I adapted this from How To Cook Without A Book, one of my favorite cookbooks.

No comments: