Monday, December 7, 2009

Yogurt Update

I had taken a break from making yogurt, but recently I discovered that I can buy a decent Greek style yogurt locally to use as a base culture. Walmart started carrying Oikos brand yogurt, which really is thick, creamy and delicious. I've used it to make yogurt twice so far, and I'm quite pleased with the results.

The Oikos brand lists 5 active cultures: S. Thermophilus; L. Bulgaricus; L. Acidophilus; Bifidus and L. Casei. Dannon only lists L. Acidophilus.

Previously, I've linked to the crockpot yogurt recipe I use. Here's my basic method:

At about 2:30 in the afternoon, I fill my 2 qt. crockpot with milk. I turn it on high, and let it go until 5:30, which is about the time I serve supper. So, I'll unplug the crockpot then. When Dave goes upstairs to tuck the kids in, around 8:30, I'll put a couple ladles of the milk in a bowl, and add about 1/4 c. of yogurt. I'll mix it well, and then add it to the rest of the yogurt in the crockpot. I put the cover back on and a heavy towel around the entire crockpot. It sits overnight, and in the morning I have 2 quarts of yogurt.

I've been putting some honey and vanilla in about half of it for sweetened yogurt, and I leave the rest plain. I haven't started substituting it for sour cream, but I think I could.

I usually write "Yogurt - 5:30, 8:30" on my kitchen whiteboard, to help me remember the times I need to take action. I also freeze the base yogurt in ice cube trays and then put them in freezer bags. On days when I'm making yogurt, I'll take out 2 cubes at 2:30 and let them thaw for when I need them at 8:30. I know you can just save out some of the homemade yogurt for the next batch, but I don't like to do that because I think the final product is too tart.

2 comments:

theMom said...

Hi Char,

"Our" cow is dried up until February, so we're very sad and using only Dannon store yogurt for now. I will be glad when I can again get raw milk and make more of my own yogurt.

It sounds like you are so ordered. I'm much more frenetic about it all.

Mine is kind of like this: Put the milk in the crock whenever I happen to remember it, bu no later than about supper time. When it's hot...oops, it's already scalded...Oh, well, it will cool down eventually, but we'll have lots of skin. Oh, shoot, now it's too cool. I forgot to put the culture in. I'll heat it up again tomorrow...

It's never terrific yogurt, but it works.

WV: consess Oh, I'm chuckling over this one. I think it's some sort of meeting of sewer workers.

madhenmom said...

I think I remember that Sally Fallon said that if you must use pasteurized milk, you should culture it. Of course, I haven't been using raw milk for awhile. But, even when I was, I was using the cheaper pasteurized milk for yogurt, because I felt the culturizing process would make up for the deficiencies in the pasteurization.