Thursday, January 28, 2010

Peanut Butter Breakfast Cake With Leftover Oatmeal

My kids are not big oatmeal fans, but I feel like we should have it at least once a week, especially since it's so nutritious and cheap.  I would love to be able to have it more often.  I was delighted when I came across this recipe for using leftover oatmeal.   The author calls them 'bars', but I would call them cake.  (Of course, if I called them bars, I could cross post this to Hath Bars :) ).

Peanut Butter Cake With Leftover Oatmeal

2 c. leftover oatmeal
1/2 c. butter or coconut oil, softened
1 c. sweetener (or 1/2 c. honey, just watch that it doesn't get the batter too moist)
1 egg
1 c. whole grain flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 t. vanilla

Cream butter, sweetener and eggs in a bowl.  Add oatmeal and other ingredients.  Mix well.  Spread into a greased 9 x 13 pan.  Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.  Cool and cut.

This can also be served hot in bowls with milk on top.

The kids all seemed to like this.  I think I might even add this to our weekly breakfast plan.

No comments: