Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Egg Strata

For the last few weekends, we've had generous family members and friends helping us with projects around the house. I purchased a bunch of lunch meat, and this huge bag of 24 rolls from Walmart. I can't remember exactly what the rolls were called. They were rectangular shaped, perhaps like miniature baguettes. They were soft, though, not crusty. A little too bready for my taste.

On the first weekend, I made sandwiches a few times, and then put the rest of the rolls in the freezer. Sunday night, I noticed we had 2 full roast beef and cheese sandwiches leftover, plus half a cheese sandwich. I decided to make a strata.

I cubed the sandwiches and put them in a greased 10 x 8 pan. I sprinkled some more cheese on top, as well as some leftover cubed ham.

In a bowl, I mixed 6 eggs and about a cup of milk. I should have added some mustard, but I didn't think of it. I pushed down on the bread, so it could soak up the liquid. It didn't seem to be enough liquid, so I added about 1/2 c. more milk, just pouring it over the top. That seemed to be enough.

I covered the pan and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, I uncovered it and baked it for probably about 30 minutes (I don't remember - until it was set) at 350 degrees.

My kids don't generally like strata type dishes, but they ate it. Dave and I both liked it.

No comments: