Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Applesauce!

I love going apple picking. We recently went, and it was hard to stop at 2 large bags. But, 54 pounds is enough for our family.

In the past, I haven't invested too much time in making applesauce. It's always just seemed like too much work. So far this year, however, I've made 5 large crockpot batches of applesauce.

Using a Pampered Chef apple peeler, I make quick work of peeling the apples. I do about 20 apples per batch, leaving out the end pieces with the peeling still on. I also try to make sure that there aren't any bits of seed casings left with the apple. (My pickiness depends on how much time I feel like investing). After the apples are in, I pour about 1/2 c. apple juice in, and about a tablespoon of cinnamon on top. Including clean up, it probably takes about 45 minutes to get a batch going. Then, I let it cook on low for 4-6 hours. After a couple of hours, I'll start stirring it because the apples on the bottom start cooking first.

When the apples are nice and soft, I mash everything good with a wooden spoon. I like to leave it a little chunky, so I don't get too fussy.

I decided to freeze it in ice cube trays this year, and then put the cubes in freezer bags. When I need them, I'll take out the number of cubes I think we'll use and thaw them. Something I've discovered is that my kids love the frozen cubes as a treat. Maybe I won't even bother thawing them.

2 comments:

theMom said...

Was your Pampered Cher peeler/corer one of your famous Goodwill Finds?

madhenmom said...

This particular one I 'borrowed' from my mom a number of years ago. She had never really used it. I'll have to ask her if she wants it back. :)

I did find one at GW a few years ago, and bought it for my niece. I'd be happy to keep my eyes open for one for you if you're interested.