Friday, August 7, 2009

Rhubarb Custard

A while back, Mary suggested trying custard pies (minus the crusts) for breakfast. I finally got around to making a rhubarb one this morning. If you cut up the rhubarb the night before, the recipe comes together pretty quickly in the morning. Yum.

This recipe is almost identical to the one Mary gave me:

5 cups cut up rhubarb (about) - put in 9 x 13 pan. (I have a "new" 10" deep dish pie pan that I used just so I could try it out)
1/8 t. baking soda - sprinkle over the rhubarb

1 c. cream (or half and half)
6 eggs
6 T. cornstarch
1/8 t. salt
Mix these 4 ingredients in a blender (can use a mixer, but the blender is more convenient for me)

1 2/3 c. sugar (I used evaporated cane juice) - sprinkle over the rhubarb

Pour egg mixture over the top and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

No comments: