Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Lower Sugar Rhubarb Cobbler

Another one of those maybe-not-the-healthiest-breakfast-in-the-world breakfasts. A while back, my sister-in-law gave me this recipe for lower sugar rhubarb cobbler. I made it earlier this week, and we had the leftovers for breakfast the next day. With vanilla ice cream. Quite decadent.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Spread in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan:

4 cups cleaned and cut up rhubarb (1/2" pieces)

Sprinkle with:

1/4 teaspoon baking soda (this helps to neutralize the tartness of the rhubarb)

Set aside.

Combine in a bowl:

2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. coconut oil (or butter)
4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
Stir in
1 c. water until mixture is crumbly.
Set aside

Combine in small bowl:

1 c. sugar
1 T coconut oil (or butter)
Mix until crumbly. Set aside

Pour
1/2 c. boiling water over the rhubarb
Top evenly with the flour mixture.
Sprinkle with the sugar-oil mixture

Bake until bubbly and beginning to brown, 35-45 minutes.

I made this with white bread flour this time. It turned out great, with a nice crusty top. I tried it about a month ago with whole wheat pastry flour, but I missed the part about adding the water to the flour mixture. It didn't turn out as great, more of a crisp than a cobbler, but my family still liked it. I might try playing around with the recipe to see if I can soak the flour.

My sister-in-law got this recipe from a newspaper. The original author was Teresa Corsello of Sugar Grove (I assume Illinois)

No comments: